The Columbus Division of Fire Alarm Office received the report of a fire at 1595 Worthington Club Dr around 0730 hours on Friday, 02.01.2013 in a 8 unit multi-family dwelling. Arriving units reported fire showing through the roof and declared a working fire. Crews worked quickly to knock down the fire which was believed to have originated in the chimney from the fireplace preventing further extension from the end unit to the other 7 units.
According to crews on scene they had responded at 0130 hours earlier that morning to the same address for the report of a fire only to find nothing. They had suggested the resident contact emergency maintenance for the apartment complex regarding a possible issue regarding the chimney area. While on scene other residents had expressed concerned the fire structure's fireplace had been burning for a few days with no break, it is important to note the fireplaces in these rental units are not provided for a primary source of heating. A total of six residents were displaced from both units of which the Red Cross had been called in to assist them.